Thursday, October 9, 2008

HFMD Fatalities

Hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) or Coxsackie is back and it's going to be a stressful month for parents with young children. So far this year, HFMD has claimed at least two fatalities, one kid from Sibu, Sarawak and one kid from Taiping, Perak.

Parents, nurseries, kindergartens and the state health departments are required to more vigilance and alert on the HFMD outbreak. Learn about Facts of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD) now.

From TheStar

Kindergarten closed after HFMD detected

MIRI: A kindergarten in Tudan residential area was closed after three cases of hand, foot and mouth disease (HFDM) were detected.

Miri health director Dr Chin Zin Hing said the kindergarten would be closed for the next two weeks.

“We are now helping the kindergarten to contain the outbreak,” said Dr Chin.

“We have also advised other kindergartens to shut down if the need arises. It is better to take early precautions.”

This is the first pre-school in the state to close following the sharp rise in HFMD infections statewide.

Last year, 13 children died from the Enterovirus 71 strain of HFMD while thousands were infected in the state.

Nurseries and kindergartens have also placed their staff and pupils on high alert following the death of a four-year old boy in Sibu from suspected infection of HFMD.

HFMD is a common yearly occurrence in Sarawak. The main fear is caused by the Enterovirus 71 strain that can be fatal.

From TheStar

Boy may be Perak’s first HFMD victim

IPOH: The state health department is investigating the death of a seven-year-old boy from Taiping, suspected to be Perak’s first death from the hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD).

State Health, Environment and Human Resource Committee chairman A. Sivanesan said a report from the department yesterday stated that samples from the boy’s blood and brain fluids were sent to the Institute for Medical Research laboratory on Tuesday for confirmation.

Sivanesan said the boy, Toh Guan Hee, from Taman Assamara, developed fever and rashes on his hands, feet and mouth last Friday.

The boy first received treatment at a clinic and was later moved to a private hospital, he said. When there was no improvement, he was sent to Hospital Taiping on Monday. Despite treatment, Guan Hee’s condition worsened and he died at the hospital later that night.

Sivanesan said an 11-month-old girl from Taiping who was admitted to Hospital Taiping yesterday, was also suspected to have HFMD.

Between January and Oct 4, he said there were 258 confirmed HFMD cases in nine districts in Perak.

~ If you like this informative post, please subscribe to my full RSS Feed


Related Posts with Thumbnails